However, not all students are looking for a large, bustling university experience. Many students are looking for a small campus, which will provide an intimate learning environment.
What Are the Most Affordable Small Colleges in California?
Marymount California University
Marymount California University is a private university that was founded in 1931. Located in Palos Verdes, the university is based on a liberal arts education and has an undergraduate population of 942 students.
Tuition cost; $31,309
Marymount California University awards financial aid to more than 85% of students annually.
The school offers various types of scholarships and grants:
- First-time Freshman Merit Scholarships are awarded to students who are accepted into the school. Eligible students must maintain a GPA of 2.50 to remain eligible
- Marymount California University Incentive Award is available to students who are admitted with a high school GPA of 2.75. The student must also have an ACT score of 900 and above
- Marymount Art Scholarships is awarded to students seeking to major in a media studies program. Students must participate in the Portfolio Review Day to be eligible
- Transfer Merit Scholarships are offered to Marymount California University incoming transfer students. The students must have completed a minimum of 24 academically transferable credits
- Athletics scholarships are awarded to students who are recommended by a coach of a specific team and approved by the director of athletics and the director of financial aid
The university also features several endowed scholarships:
- Barbara Iris Foundation scholarship
- David Meld Memorial scholarship
- Debra Reed Endowed scholarship
- Eugenie B. Hannon Memorial scholarship
- Evan Leonard Grau scholarship
Azusa Pacific University
Azusa Pacific University is a Christian college that was established in 1899. The university is located in Azusa, near Los Angeles and has an undergraduate population of 5,344 students.
Tuition cost: $34,908
98.8% of Azusa Pacific students receive some form of financial aid. Students from low-income families also receive an average amount of $24,962 in aid during their first year.
Azusa Pacific University features various scholarships and grants:
- Trustees’ scholarship pays full tuition for incoming freshman
- President’s scholarship awards up to $19,000 a year for the incoming freshman. The students must have 4.0 GPA and SAT of 1450 to be eligible
- Dean’s scholarship awards $17,000 to incoming freshman. Students should have 3.9 GPA and 1200 on SAT to be eligible Dean’s scholarship
- Director’s scholarship awards $15,000 to incoming freshman with a GPA of 3.5 and an SAT score of 1100
- Founder’s award gives $12,000 to incoming freshman with GPA of 3.3 and SAT score of 1,000
- Transfer award gives $12,000 per year. The transfer student must have 3.5 GPA to qualify
Honors college students may qualify for an additional $1,000 college scholarship
Fresno Pacific University
Fresno Pacific University is a liberal arts Christian college that was established in 1944. The university is located in Fresno and has an enrollment of 2,439 students.
Tuition cost: $29,170
98% of all Fresno Pacific University’s students receive financial aid. The university awards several types of scholarships and grants.
- Freshman scholarship. The university features numerous freshman scholarships including:
- President scholarship which awards $13,000 to eligible students
- Dean’s scholarship awards $ 8,000 annually to eligible students
- Founder’s scholarship gives $5,000 to eligible students each year
- Transfer scholarships .The university award three transfer scholarships to eligible students:
- Scholar scholarship :the scholarship gives $10,000 to eligible transfer students
- Achievement scholarship : the scholarship awards $7,500 to eligible transfer students
- Academic scholarship : the scholarship awards $5,000 to eligible transfer students
- Performance-based scholarships include:
- Athletic scholarship: $5,000 to full tuition
- Music scholarship: $300 to 3,000
- Drama scholarship: $1,300 to $2,000
The university also awards grants including:
- Church match $500 to $1,000
- International Scholarship: up to $6,000
San Diego Christian College
San Diego Christian College is a Christian college located in Santee. The college has an enrollment of 1,000 students.
Tuition cost: $28,470
98% of San Diego Christian college students receive financial aid. Some of the scholarships offered at San Diego Christian College include:
- Freshman Academic Scholarship: $3,000 and $12,000 to eligible students
- Transfer Academic Scholarship: $2,000 and $8,000. The award is based on college GPA for 24 units
- Legacy grant awards $2,000 to eligible students
- Church Matching Scholarship offers up to $5,000 to eligible students
- Christian Worker Dependent Scholarship awards up to $500 to eligible students.
- Scholarship programs awards $1,000 – 50% tuition to eligible student
California College Bound is delighted to explore these schools where you will never feel lost in the crowd. What are the other features of your preferred college? Reach out to us and we will organize a visit to your dream school.