University of California Davis Programs
The University of California, Davis is often regarded as a ‘public ivy’ school, due to its high standards of quality education, only comparable to the renowned ‘Ivy League Universities.’ The university is set on 5,300 acres of land. UC Davis is the most sustainable university in the world. This is because the university has a ‘bio-digester’ with a capacity to convert 50 tons of daily waste into energy for use on campus.
The University of California, Davis has 800 student clubs and organizations, which include 70 Greek life chapters and 40 sports clubs. The students are organized into 23 intercollegiate athletics team, 14 women teams, and nine men’s teams. Students of University of California, Davis organize annual social events, such as:
- Picnic Day is the largest student-organized event nationally. Students organize a parade with bands and food vendors, while, educational departments showcase their areas of expertise.
- Whole Earth Festival is an annual event to promote environmental sustainability and responsibility through workshops and sale of handcrafts and jewelry.
Academics at UC Davis
Acceptance rates at the University of California, Davis stands at 42%. The student to faculty ratio is 20:1, with a total student enrollment of nearly 35,000 students. The university has approximately 1,300 students currently studying abroad, in various countries. The University of California, Davis offers over 104 undergraduate majors and 99 graduate programs, across its different departments:
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- College of Engineering
- College of Letters and Science
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School of Management
- School of Education
- School of Law
- School of Medicine
- School of Veterinary Medicine
Tuition at UC Davis
Annual tuition at UC Davis is$14,382. 57% of undergraduates receive financial aid for their tuition. Students can access various types of financial aid through grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study. In the academic year 2015-2016, 47% of students graduated debt-free.
Location of University of California, Davis: Davis
The University of California, Davis is located in the city of Davis. The city has an estimated population of 68,111 people. Davis is a short two-hour drive from world-class destinations, such as Napa Valley, San Francisco Bay, and Lake Tahoe. Most residents of Davis use their bicycles as a mode of transportation within the city.
Beautiful Sites Near University of California, Davis
The City of Davis is best known as an educational town due to the presence of the University of California, Davis but it has much more to offer:
- The Davis Farmers Market is an organic market providing residents and students with fresh fruits, vegetables, and pastries.
- The United States Bicycling Hall of Fame showcases vintage bicycles and the evolution of bicycles
- The annual Davis Stampede is a marathon, and includes a 5km, 10km and half marathon.
- Downtown Davis has shopping and eating at the many restaurants located here.
- Celebrate Davis, an annual event organized by the city administration to bring residents together through live music, food, and fireworks.
Alumni of UC Davis
The University of California, Davis has the following individuals as its alma mater:
- Stephen Robinson a NASA astronaut
- Tracey Caldwell a chemist and NASA astronaut
- Darrell Steinberg, the mayor of Sacramento
- Toni Cantil the current Chief Justice of California
- Anna Escobedo the current US Treasurer
- Ann Veneman former US Secretary of Agriculture
University of California Davis at a Glance