University of California San Diego Programs
Students at UC San Diego have a wide variety of recreational activities to choose from, including 550 student organizations. 20% of the student population belongs to fraternities and sororities. The student body coordinates concerts and events throughout the year, such as:
- The welcome week to introduce new students to campus activities
- Hullabaloo music festival held every November
- Sun God festival held annually in mid-May
To maximize the level of collaboration between the faculty and the students, each member occupies the same residential areas on the main campus. Many members of the faculty at UC San Diego have been recognized for their work. Some of the awards received are:
- 20 Nobel Laureate’s winners
- Eight National Medals of Science winners
- Eight Mac Arthur Fellowships winners
- Two Pulitzer Prize winners
- 29 of the faculty have been elected to the National Academy of Engineering, 45 to the institute of medicine and 106 to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Academics at University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Diego consists of six undergraduate colleges, five academic divisions, and five graduate and professional schools. The University of California, San Diego also features two medical centers and the famous Scripps Institution of Oceanography, the largest, Geological and Marine Science institution, in the world.
The most popular majors at UC San Diego, include:
- Computer Engineering
- Communication and Media Studies
The student-faculty ratio at the University of California, San Diego is 19:1, with 36.3% of classes having less than 20 students. UC San Diego is ranked one of the top 15 research universities in the world.
Tuition at University of California, San Diego
In state tuition at UC San Diego is $16,183. The percentage of first-year students who are receiving grants is at 58%.
Location of University of California San Diego: La Jolla
University of California, San Diego is located in La Jolla, California. The climate is moderate throughout the year. La Jolla resides near the coast of the Pacific Ocean. Residents of La Jolla, can easily access the nearby mountains and desert ecosystems.
Beautiful Sites Near UC San Diego
- Birch Aquarium is a public exploration place for the world-renowned Scripps Institute of Oceanography at University of California, San Diego. The aquarium rests on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The aquarium features over 60 habitats of fishes and invertebrates.
Other noteworthy sites near UC San Diego include:
- La Jolla Playhouse
- Salk Institute
- Mt Soledad National Veterans Memorial
Alumni of UC San Diego
Notable alumni of University of California, San Diego include:
- Bill Atkinson and Bud Dribble: Members of the Apple Macintosh development team
- Nick Woodman: GoPro founder
- Susumu Tonegawa: Winner of 2009 Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- Venki Ramakrishna: Joint winners of 1987 Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- Mike Judge: Cartoon animation producer
- Robert Buckley: Actor who played Clay in ‘One Tree Hill’
- Khalid Hussein: Author, ’The Kite Runner’ and ’A Thousand Splendid Suns.’
- Dilip Rao: Actor in ‘Aviator’ and ‘Inception.’
- Leilani Munter: American race driver and environmental activist.
- Igor Vamos: Cofounder of ‘Yes Men,’ an activist art group.
University of California, San Diego at a Glance
- Location: San Diego
- Public University
- Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees
- Student Enrollment: 35,816
- Annual tuition: $16,183
- Ranked: 10th Best Public University in the USA
- For more information, visit: ucsd.edu
California College Bound Programs, Visit: University of California, San Diego