University of California, Santa Cruz Programs
University of California, Santa Cruz has earned national and international recognition for the impact of its research. From researching personalized care for cancer patients to building more efficient solar cells, University of California, Santa Cruz has demonstrated its commitment to improving the planet and its inhabitants. UC Santa Cruz has been ranked fourth in the world for influence on research by Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
- The mascot at the University of California, Santa Cruz is the ‘banana slug’, an unusual yellow earthen creature that has been recognized among the best mascots in the country.
- University of California, Santa Cruz is home to ‘Dead Central’. Dead Central is a room full of Grateful Dead Memorabilia donated by the band.
Academics at University of California, Santa Cruz
University of California, Santa Cruz is a renowned for its cross-disciplinary, progressive, contemporary teaching methods. The student-to-faculty ratio is 18:1. The university offers 63 undergraduate majors and 35 minors, in addition to graduate programs in 33 fields. Popular undergraduate majors, include:
- Business Management Economics
- Molecular and Cell Biology
- Computer and Archeology
- Environmental Studies
- Digital Arts and New Media
Tuition at University of California, Santa Cruz
Annual tuition at the UC Santa Cruz is $14,028. 68% of students at UC Santa Cruz are receive some form of financial aid.
Location of University of California Santa Cruz: Santa Cruz
UC Santa Cruz is located on the edge of the coastal community of Santa Cruz, just 75 miles south of San Francisco. Few locations can be as inspiring as Santa Cruz. The campus has spectacular views of redwood forests and Monterey Bay. The Santa Cruz area features huge acres of protected land that provides numerous opportunities for hiking, photography, and nature viewing.
University of California, Santa Cruz is a short bus ride from downtown Santa Cruz, a mile from the beach and 1.5 hours by car from San Francisco. It is the closest UC campus to Silicon Valley, providing its students with incredible opportunities for internships and prospective employment at companies like Google, Facebook, Adobe Systems, Apple, and others.
Beautiful Sites Near UC Santa Cruz
- Mount Hermon Adventures: a Redwood Canopy Tour with guided zip line.
- Stagnaro Sports Fishing Charters and Whale Watching
- Natural Bridges State Beach: Natural Bridges State Beach is a refuge for wintering monarch butterflies. The park boasts a sandy cove, a nature trail through the butterfly preserve, tide pools and hiking trails.
- Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
- Mystery Spot: the Mystery Spot is a gravitational anomaly located in the redwood forests outside Santa Cruz. The Mystery Spot is a circular area where the laws of gravity and physics are questioned.
Alumni of University of California, Santa Cruz
Notable alumni of University of California, Santa Cruz, include:
- Huey P. Newton: Co-founder, Black Panther Party
- Maya Rudolph: Actress and comedian
- Jonah Peretti: Founder of Huffington post and Buzzfeed.
- Cary Fukanaga: Film director, writer, and cinematographer
- Andy Samberg: Actor and comedian
- Reyna Grande: Award-winning Mexican author
University of California, Santa Cruz at a Glance
- Location: Santa Cruz
- Public University
- Undergraduate and graduate degrees
- Student Enrollment: 17,335
- Annual tuition: $14,000
- Ranked: #40 in the west and #97 Best Value Schools
- For more information, visit: ucsc.edu
California College Bound Program, Visit: University of California, Santa Cruz