University of California, San Diego Programs
Fun fact: California College Bound has established that the University of California, San Diego is decorated by more than a dozen public art projects, which provides the university with a unique look unlike any other institution in the State of California.
Students of the UC San Diego have a wide variety of recreational activities to choose from, including 550 student organizations. 20% of the student population belongs to fraternities and sororities. The student body coordinates concerts and events, during the year:
- The welcome week to introduce new students to campus activities
- Hullabaloo music festival held every November
- Sun God festival held annually in mid-May
- To maximize the level of collaboration between the faculty and the students, each member occupies the same residential areas, on the main campus.
- University of California San Diego is comprised of faculty, recognized for:
- 20 Nobel laureate’s winners
- Eight National medals of science winners
- Eight Mac Arthur Fellowships winners
- Two Pulitzer Prizes winners
- 29 of the faculty have been elected to the National Academy of Engineering, 45 to the institute of medicine and 106 to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- University of California San Diego is one of the top 15 research universities in the world.
Academics at University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Diego consists of six undergraduate colleges, five academic divisions, and five graduate and professional schools. The University of California, San Diego also features two medical centers and the famous Scripps Institution of Oceanography, the largest, Geological and Marine Science institution, in the world.
The most popular majors at UC San Diego, include:
- Computer Engineering
- Communication and Media Studies
The student-faculty ratio at the University of California, San Diego is 19:1, with 36.3% of classes having less than 20 students.
Tuition at University of California, San Diego
In state tuition at UC San Diego is $16,183. The percentage of first-year students who are receiving grants is at 58%.
Location of University of California San Diego: La Jolla
University of California, San Diego is located in La Jolla, California. The climate is moderate throughout the year.
Beautiful Sites Near UC San Diego
- Birch Aquarium at Scripps
Birch Aquarium is a public exploration place for the world-renowned Scripps Institute of Oceanography at University of California, San Diego. The aquarium rests on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The aquarium features over 60 habitats of fishes and invertebrates.
- La Jolla Playhouse
- Salk Institute
- Mt Soledad National Veterans Memorial
The Veterans Memorial is a beautiful spot overlooking the city and coastline. The ride up the mountain provides a 360 view of San Diego.
Alumni of UC San Diego
Notable alumni of University of California, San Diego include:
- Bill Atkinson and Bud Dribble: Members of the Apple Macintosh development team
- Nick Woodman: GoPro founder
- Susumu Tonegawa: Winner of 2009 Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- Venki Ramakrishna: Joint winners of 1987 Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- Mike Judge: Cartoon animation producer
- Robert Buckley: Actor who played Clay in ‘One Tree Hill’
- Khalid Hussein: Author, ’The Kite Runner’ and ’A Thousand Splendid Suns.’
- Dilip Rao: Actor in ‘Aviator’ and ‘Inception.’
- Leilani Munter: American race driver and environmental activist.
- Igor Vamos: Cofounder of ‘Yes Men,’ an activist art group.
University of California, San Diego at a Glance
- Location: San Diego
- Public University
- Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees
- Student Enrollment: 35,816
- Annual tuition: $16,183
- Ranked: 10th Best Public University in the USA
- For more information, visit: ucsd.edu
California College Bound Programs, Visit: University of California, San Diego