An increase in funding for athletic programs can bring about more money for athletic scholarships and facilities. In addition to the student athletes on a specific team and the fans, most sports facilities can be used by students when not in use by the team. The following are some of California colleges with outstanding sports facilities.
The story of college sports cannot be complete without the mention of Stanford University. Stanford University competes in the Pacific 12 conference as the cardinals.
All together, the athletic teams of Stanford have won 107 NCAA national championships. The women’s athletic teams hold 46 of these prestigious championship honors and the men’s teams have claimed 61.
- Stanford University athletes have won 465 NCAA individual championships, 100 more than any other NCAA University
- Stanford University has won the Directors Cup 21 consecutive years
- Stanford University has won 270 Olympic medals
- Since 1912, Stanford University has produced at least one medalist in every Olympics, in which the US has completed
Stanford University athletic department draws from its own $170 million endowment fund, making it the largest of any athletic department in the nation. With this funding, Stanford University is able to maintain 1 million feet of indoor facilities and 94 acres of outdoor athletic facilities, including:
- Klein Field at Sunken Diamond baseball field holds 4,000 fans
- Stanford Golf course: The golf course has hosted some of the most memorable collegiate golf tournaments in the nation and has launched the gold careers of professionals, such as Tiger Woods
- Avery Aquatic complex has the capacity to hold 2,480 attendees.
- Taube family tennis – stadium was named as an exceptional outdoor tennis facility by the US Tennis court and Track Builders
- Lacob family sports medicine center: The center is one of a kind facility where evaluation and rehabilitation of Stanford University student-athletes take place.
The University of Southern California
The University of Southern California participates in the Pacific 12 conference and has won 100 NCAA national championships– 16 women’s titles and 84 in men’s
Facilities at University of Southern California include:
- Cromwell track and field stadium
- Dedeaux baseball field
- Galen Center hosts men’s and women’s basketball and volleyball as well as other large events.
- Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum is home to the Trojan football team
- Marks Tennis Stadium
- MC Alister Field is home to the women’s soccer team
- Uytengsu Aquatics Center
University of Southern California initiated a $300 million fundraising initiative in 2013, called ‘The Heritage Initiative’.
California Baptist University
California Baptist University features 21 athletic teams that are affiliated with the NCAA Division III. Nearly 12% of the students at Cal Baptist participate on an athletic team.
California Baptist University boasts several athletic facilities on campus including:
- Basketball and volleyball courts
- Racquetball and volleyball courts
- Weight room
- Climbing wall and bouldering area
- Cycle ITRX and Group Room
- Synthetic turf track and futsal soccer field
The latest facility at California Baptist University is the 153,000 square foot events center, which cost $73 million.
Azusa Pacific University
Azusa Pacific University has featured celebrated athletics teams since the 1940s. The university boasts 19 sports teams that are nationally recognized in the NCAA Division III, including eight men’s and 11 women’s teams.
Azusa Pacific University features the following facilities:
- Felix event center is a 70,000 square foot venuethat hosts Cougar basketball and volleyball The venue also provides a location for university events such as athletic competitions, chapel dinner rallies and night of championships. The facility features 3,500 permanent seats.
- Citrus stadium is a 101,000 seat stadium that features
- an all-weather turf surface
- Cougar Athletic stadium is home to the Cougar football team as well as track and field
- Cougar soccer complex
- Cougar baseball and softball complex is the oldest facility on campus
- Weight room and fitness center features state of the art weight lifting equipment and indoor turf for agility drills
Fun fact: of the 5,920 undergraduate students at Azusa Pacific University, 410 are classified as student-athletes
Pepperdine University maintains proud athletic traditions and boasts 17 teams that compete in NCAA division 1 category. Pepperdine University features the following facilities:
- Runnels Swimming Pool is
- one of the premier aquatic centers of the world. The Raleigh Runners memorial pool was the site of the 1984 Olympic Games water polo competition
- Ralphs – Straus Tennis center
- serves as home for the men’s and women’s tennis team
- Stotsenberg Track and Field complex
- The Firestone Fieldhouse
- houses the university’s basketball and volleyball teamsas well as an indoor swimming facility and strength training center.
Finding a college campus with great sporting facilities is important to students who lead an active lifestyle, student athletes, and sports fans! California is home to many high ranking athletic teams and their state of the art facilities. Check out these facilities and gain a better understanding of campus life by joining one of our many tours.