Every year, approximately 130,000 students study abroad in America. Some schools actively recruit Chinese students while they are still in high school.
California is the state with the highest concentration of Chinese students. According to Institute of International Education, the quantity and diversity of institutions in California make the state an attractive option for Chinese students. The number of Chinese students in California increased by 10.5% between 2016 and 2017.
What California Colleges Have the Largest Population of Chinese Students?
California Institute of Technology
The university is one of the most popular colleges choices amongst Chinese students. In 2016, California Institute of Technology enrolled 183 Chinese students. Students from China account for 8.1% of California Institute of Technology’s entire student body and 28.3% of the international student body. According to College Factual, California Institute of Technology is ranked in the top 10 for colleges and universities for students from China.
California Institute of Technology features numerous resources targeted towards Chinese students, including the Caltech Chinese Association. The association promotes friendship and cultural interactions. The association features various events, such as:
- Mid-autumn and spring festival celebrations
- New students’ orientation
- Chinese cultural exhibitions
- Sports competitions
- Alumni weekend and talks
- Caltech graduate fellowship
Caltech’s Graduate Fellowship is an initiative by Caltech Chinese Alumni to establish an endowed graduate fellowship. The fellowship aims to fund first-year students of Chinese heritage taking underfunded disciplines. $50,000 is awarded to eligible students each year.
California Institute of Technology is among the many American universities receiving donations from Chinese donors. In December 2016, a $115 million donation was made to California Institute of Technology by Chinese billionaire Chen Tianqiao and his wife Luo to fund the creation of an Institute of Neuroscience at California Institute of Technology.
University of California, Davis
University of California, Davis admits the largest population of International students among the University of California schools. The university has recently doubled down on recruitment in China, the primary source of its international student body. In the 2017, University of California, Davis admitted 2000 undergraduates from mainland China. The university features numerous Chinese related resources:
- Confucius Institute is dedicated to Chinese food and beverage. Established in conjunction with China’s Jiangnan University, a Wuxi based school that specializes in food sciences, the program is the first of its kind in the U.S. Courses offered at the institute include:
- Chinese tea and cuisine
- Workshops on cooking
- Social drinking
- Chinese holiday food
- Chinese business and culinary traditions
- Chinese Student Association is a registered student organization with an emphasis on promoting Chinese culture at the University of California, Davis
- Chinese Students and Scholars Association at Davis promotes cultural, academic as well as science and technology exchanges between China and the US. It provides social activities, sports and services for the Chinese students and their families
- Chinese Calligraphy is the most important element of Chinese culture and arts. The club at University of California, Davis collaborates with the Davis Department of East Asian languages and cultures to teach traditional Chinese calligraphy on campus
- Chinese gaming social platform
- Davis Chinese dance
College Factual recognizes Stanford University as a leading university for providing quality education to students from China. Stanford University was ranked in the top 5% of schools in the nation. Stanford University ranked 7th in the state of California for providing quality education to students from China. During the past 5 years, the population of Chinese students on campus has grown by 15.3%. The current number of Chinese students at Stanford University is 1062.
Stanford University offers the Chinese language program. The program offers beginning and intermediate conversational classes in Chinese as well as beginning, intermediate, and advanced conversational classes in Cantonese. First year to third year intensive modern Chinese classes are offered in summer.
The university also offers a Chinese undergraduate major. The major exposes students to a variety of perspectives of the Chinese language, culture, and history through training in writing and communication.
Chinese related groups on campus include:
- Undergraduate Chinese Association is a student-run organization whose goal is to promote and educate the Stanford community about Chinese culture
- Association of Chinese students and scholars at Stanford. The association was founded in 1989 and it aims to broaden the channels of communication between the Chinese community and other cultural, academic and professional communities in the Bay area.
California offers much more than quality education for Chinese students: cultural festivities, beautiful weather, incredible sites. Visit California College Bound to learn more about what California can offer to Chinese students.