California hosts 6,300 CPA offices. The renowned ‘Big Four’ international CPA firms have offices in California, which includes the firms Deloitte and Touche and Ernst and Young.
A few important facts about majoring in accounting in California.
- 116 public colleges and universities offer accounting degrees in California
- 79 private colleges and universities offer accounting degrees in California
- 111 schools offer an associate degree in accounting
University of Southern California
The four-year undergraduate accounting degree is offered by the Marshall School of Business through the Leventhal School of Accounting. The students of Leventhal school of Accounting study accounting courses during the last two years of the program as well as participate in an event called ‘Meet the Firms’. This is an event where accounting students meet staff members from selected top firms, interact with them and learn more about the profession. Each year, 100 accounting students work in internships with the big four firms.
Some of the courses include accounting information systems, auditing, and advanced external financial reporting. The school offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs. University of Southern California’s accounting program is focused on delivering five learning outcomes:
- Research and analytical skills
- Technical knowledge
- Ethical decision making
- Ability to work collaboratively in a work environment
Why is University of Southern California one of the best undergraduate schools for accounting?
- The University of Southern California ranks 5th in US News rankings of undergraduate accounting programs
- The University of Southern California is placed 5th in the rankings of Public Accounting Report (PAR)
- Graduates from the University of Southern California’s accounting program earn an average starting salary of $55,000 and quickly advance to $110,000 (7% more than the typical graduate in the field of accounting)
Santa Clara University
Santa Clara University accounting program is offered through Santa Clara’s Leavey School of Business. The school offers two majors: A bachelor’s degree in accounting as well as accounting and information systems. Both of the majors require courses in intermediate financial accounting, auditing costs accounting and Tax planning.
The Leavey School of Business also offers a certificate of advanced accounting proficiency for students who wish to become CPAs but do not want to complete a master’s degree. Why are so many students interested in attending
Santa Clara University for a degree in accounting? Many of their graduates accept full-time job offers from Silicon Valley firms before they begin their senior year.
Why is Santa Clara University one of the best undergraduate schools for accounting?
- Bloomberg has placed Santa Clara University’s Leavey School of Business in the top 50 nationally. Leavey School of Business is placed eighth in LinkedIn’s rankings
- Santa Clara University is ranked 18th in Tax Talent’s rankings
- College factual has ranked Santa Clara’s university accounting program 42 out of 608 nationally. The program has also been ranked 3rd in California
- A student who graduates from Santa Clara University with a degree in accounting earns $56,000 and average mid-career earnings of 130,000 (40% above the national average Santa Clara University’s is the preeminent provider of accounting professionals in the Silicon Valley)
- Santa Clara University’s accounting program is the only program that is accredited by association to advance collegiate schools of business AACSB.
Loyola Marymount University
Loyola Marymount University offers its Bachelor of Science in accounting through the College of Business Administration. Some of the courses studied include:
- Financial reporting standards
- Auditing principles
- Accounting information systems
Why is Loyola Marymount University one of the best undergraduate schools for accounting?
- Loyola Mary mount university accounting is listed 16th by US News and World reports. The accounting program is rated 66th out of 608 programs nationwide by college factual and number 16th in California.
- Loyola Marymount University is ranked 17th in Tax Talent’s rankings.
- According to pay scale, graduates of Loyola Marymount earn $52,000in their early careers. (9% above the national average of all accounting graduates)
The Bachelor of Science in accounting at Chapman University is offered through Argyros School. The degree not only offers the students skills and knowledge to succeed in the field of accounting but also outstanding preparation for the CPA exam.
Chapman University offers an integrated five-year BA-MBA program where a student can achieve an MBA by adding an extra year to their current studies. The school also offers a master of science in accounting.
Why is Chapman University one of the best undergraduate schools for accounting?
- Chapman University’s accounting program ranks 21st in California
- The school is ranked 58th in the regional west
- The average early career salary for the graduates of Chapman University is $50,100 (47% higher than many other four year colleges’ graduates)
San Diego State University
Accounting majors at San Diego State University are offered through the Falser College of Business, via the Charles W. Lamden School of Accounting.
The school was the first accounting program in California and among the first to be given accreditation by the association to advance collegiate schools of business (AASCB) in 1982.
The school has one of the Top 10 passing rates among universities in California for first-time participants of the CPA exam.
The Masters of Science in Accounting program can be completed in 12 – 18 months (30 credits).
The school offers bachelors and master’s degree programs including a combined 4 + 1 bachelors with a masters program. San Diego State had the 3rd highest CPA passing rate in California in 2015.
Why is San Diego State one of the best undergraduate schools for accounting?
- The school is ranked 24th according to Accounting Degree Review as being one of the most reasonably priced undergraduate programs in the U.S.
- Test scores of students who attended Charles W. Lamden School of Accounting consistently ranks among the best in the nation, ranking fifth in 2015.
- The School of Accounting is the top producer of accountants in San Diego.
- University of San Diego’s accounting program is rated 19th out of 607 nationwide by college factual and number 2 in California.
- According to pay scale, a student who graduates from San Diego State earns $51,100 in their early career (53% higher than graduates from some of the other four year universities)
The university where you earn your degree adds to the overall value of your diploma. California College Bound will help you explore the California Universities with an outstanding reputation in the area of accounting. Understanding the unique offerings of each school will help in making the pivotal so decision in choosing which school best fits your needs.