Pitzer College became coeducational in 1970. Three-quarters of the students study abroad, which includes a semester in Costas Rica at Pitzer College’s Firestone Center for Restoration Ecology.
Students of Pitzer College have the best of two worlds: an intimate college as well as access to the resources of five institutions that include; Claremont McKenna College, Harvey Muddy College, Pomona College, and Scripps college. Students of Pitzer College can major in an academic program at any of the five institutions.
Academics at Pitzer College
Pitzer College has a particular emphasis on the study of social sciences, behavioral sciences, international programs, and media studies. Pitzer College offers 41 majors and 22 minors. The college also operates 58 study abroad programs, including 41 international exchanges and six domestic exchanges. Pitzer College features field groups and intercollegiate departments that are organized into major requirements and courses. Some of the majors studied at Pitzer College include:
- African studies
- Asian American studies
- Creative studies
- Environmental analysis
- Gender and feminist studies
- International and intercultural studies
- Science, technology, and Society
- Theatre and dance
Fact: Each student of Pitzer College is assigned a faculty adviser on arrival at campus. Also, 100% of Pitzer College’s faculty holds a Ph.D. or the terminal degree in their field.
The average GPA of the freshmen at Pitzer College is 3.92.
The student-faculty ratio at Pitzer College is 10:1
Tuition and Financial Aid at Pitzer College
Tuition at Pitzer College is $50,430. The college offers various types of financial aid to students:
- Grants and scholarships
- Loan funds
- Employment funds
The institutional funds include Pitzer Scholarships and Pitzer College Loans that are awarded to students depending on their financial need. 41% of Pitzer College students receive financial aid. The average school grant at Pitzer College is $32,554 which is $18,755 higher than the average for private schools, which stands at $13,799.
Pitzer College Rankings
Forbes ranks Pitzer College:
- 59th Top Colleges
- 49th Private College
- 29th Liberal Arts College
- 11th in the west
Ranking by US News and World Report College and University rankings
Pitzer College ranks:
- 33rd in National Liberal Arts Colleges
- 62nd in Best Value School
- 25th in High School Counselor Rankings
Alumni of Pitzer College
Notable alumni of Pitzer College include:
- John Darnielle: Novelist and lead singer. “The Mountain Goats”
- Susan Feniger: Celebrity chef and restaurateur
- John Landgrar: FX, Network president
- David Bloom: Anchor, NBC news
- Eli Erlick: Transgender activist, Director of Trans Student Educational Resources
- Sandra Mitchelle: Award-winning author, professor, and philosopher of science
- Fabian Nunez: Former speaker of the California State Assembly
Location of Pitzer College
Pitzer College is located in Claremont, California. Some of the attractive sites near Pitzer College include:
- Claremont Museum of Art: the Claremont Museum of Art celebrates the community’s rich artistic legacy and promotes the cultural vitality of the Claremont region. The museum is located in the Claremont Depot, a historic Santa Fe train station
- Raymond M. Alf Museum of Paleontology: students of Pitzer College will learn the science and history of dinosaurs.
- Folk Music Center: In addition to fantastic musical instruments, the store also sells small toys and noisemakers.
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden: The garden is a fantastic place to unwind. The garden is an 86-acre area showcasing California’s plant communities. The garden also features a butterfly exhibit.
- Laemmle’s Claremont 5: Laemmle’s Claremont 5 is a great theater that is perfect for movies. The theatre includes international, independent, and art films.
Pitzer College Campus Life
Pitzer College has a student enrollment of 1,067. The college features more than 100 student clubs and organizations. Some of them include:
- Climbing club
- Cooking club
- Psychological student association
- Breakfast club
The college also features numerous events and traditions:
- Kohoutek Music and Arts Festival is an outdoor music and arts festival that is held each spring.
- Groove at the Grove: concerts and performances held on Thursday nights at the Grove house
- Hammocks on the Mounds: This refers to the hanging of hammocks on the Pitzer College mounds
- Snackie Snack: this is a weekly free late-night snack served by Pitzer Activities Programming Board
Athletic teams at Pitzer College compete in Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. Sports teams include soccer, football, baseball, basketball, water polo, and swimming and diving.
Pitzer College at a Glance:
Location: Claremont California
Student enrollment: 1,067
Annual tuition; $50,430
For more information visit www.pitzer.edu