In 1974, the Art Center College of Design moved to its Hillside campus as enrollment increased. The school was forced to open another campus, called South Campus in 2004. The school resides on an estimated 175 acres of land that provides a conducive learning environment.
Art Center College of Design has created a niche in the fields of advertising, industrial design and publishing, as the best institution for an individual who wants to work for the media or looking to establish their own production houses. Notable lectures at the Art Center College of Design include Ansel Adams, who was a famed American environmentalist and photographer, known for his pictures of the Yosemite National Park. Art Centre of Design was granted as a non-governmental organization by the United Nations in 2003.
Academics at the Art Center College of Design
The Art Center College of Design aims to create new models in the areas of Arts and Design in the 21st century. This vision is accomplished by offering world class courses that give students an edge in the competitive job market. Art Center College of Design offers 11 undergraduate courses:
- Environmental Design
- Entertainment Design
- Fine Art
- Film (visual and narrative)
- Product Design
- Interaction Design (developing mobile apps, websites and games)
- Graphic design
- Photography and Imaging
- Transportation Design (designing future systems of transportation, developing and designing vehicles)
Graduate courses offered by the Art Centre of Design include:
- Transportation Systems and Design
- Industrial Design
- Media Design Practices
- Graphic Design
- Environmental Design
The Art Centre of Design has exciting programs, which assist in bridging the gap between the theories taught in the classroom and practical examples of professionalism in the workplace. This is done through inviting industry players to the classroom setting to educate students.
The school also offers scholarships to the coveted Fulbright Program, for its current students and alumni who are US citizens. The Art Center College of Design has forged partnerships with international universities across the globe such as Tama Art University located in Japan, Bikini Berlin in Germany, Centro School of Design in Mexico, and INSEAD business school based in both France and Singapore. These collaborations provide an opportunity for students who seek exchange programs to various countries.
As part of its social responsibility collective, the Art Center College of Design has set up an Art Center for Kids, in grades 4-8 and a center for teens, in grades 9-12. These centers give children a facility, where they can enhance their creativity and channel their energies to the right activities.
Tuition at the Art Center College of Design
Tuition cost per term:
- Undergraduate (4 terms needed to complete degree) $20,704
- Postgraduate (5-7 terms needed to complete degree) $21,881
Location of Art Center College of Design: Pasadena
The Art Center College of Design is located in Pasadena, California. Pasadena enjoys an average weather of 73°F/23°C. Its Hillside Campus and South Campus are also located in the city of Pasadena. Pasadena offers several modes of public transportation, including: shuttle service available for students across campuses, local buses, and rail transit. California has three airports: Bob Hope Airport in Burbank, Los Angeles International Airport, and Ontario International Airport.
Beautiful Sites to Visit Near Art Center College of Design
Pasadena has every activity imaginable and the options are endless. Students can visit the following local attractions:
- The Rose Bowl Stadium hosts the annual Rose Bowl football game and is the world’s largest flea market.
- The Norton Simon Museum exhibits historical artefacts and private collections.
- The Huntington Library and Gardens is a 120-acre garden.
- The Gamble House belonged to Proctor and Gamble, and now exhibits American style architecture.
- Eaton Canyon Nature Centre has hiking trails in the mountains.
- The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is used by NASA.
Art Center College of Design at a Glance:
- Location: Pasadena
- Private non-profit
- Undergraduate and graduate degrees
- Student enrollment: 1,555 undergraduates and 183 postgraduates
- Ranked: 19th Best Art College in America
- Tuition: Undergraduate (4 terms needed to complete degree) $20,704
- For more information, visit: www.artcentre.edu