It is for this reason that California College Bound has prepared the best strategies for international students to gain admission into The University California schools system.
The University of California school system is one of the best public university systems in the world. It is no wonder, prospective university students from around the world file thousands of applications for admission. Currently, international students constitute 6% of the total undergraduate population at the University of California system.
Ten universities are affiliated with the UC school system:
- UC Berkeley
- UC Davis
- UC Irvine
- UC Merced
- UC Riverside
- UC San Diego
- UC Santa Barbara
- UC Santa Cruz
- UC San Francisco (graduate/professional degrees only)
How Can International Students Get into a University of California School?
- Participate in extra-curricular activities such as clubs, organizations, and sports
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.4 (the minimum to get into a University of California school)
- Demonstrate proficiency in English:
- Testing of English as a Foreign Language exam (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing System exam (IELTS)
- Some University of California campuses may request a personal interview with the applicant to determine English proficiency during the application review process. If one had taken an English proficiency test before, this would be quite easy for them.
- Attend a California Community College for an associate’s degree, and then apply to a University of California campus as a transfer student. The University of California’s Transfer Admission Planner helps prospective students plan and monitor their progress towards enrolling into a UC school. More than 30% of current University of California undergraduates attended a community college before transferring to the university.
- Apply to several UC campuses (there is no limit to how many schools you can apply to). This may increase your chances of being admitted to at least one UC campus. Different campuses have varied requirements that can be found on the school’s website.
- Submit the application and necessary supporting documents on time. Each application cost $80. The following are application filing periods for all University of California campuses:
- Fall: Applications are open from November 1st – November 30th
- Winter: Applications are open from July 1st – July 31st
- Spring: Applications are open between October 1st – October 31st
- Have a valid VISA and a passport. The following are VISAs issued by the US government to international students: Student VISA (F1), Exchange Visitor VISA (F-1), (Visitor’s VISA B-2), and Business Visitor VISA (B-1).
- For more information on VISA application requirements and procedures, check the US Department of State website. Other necessary documents include a certificate of eligibility (Form I-20) or (DS-2019) issued by The University of California campus you will attend and a proof of adequate financial support for your studies and living expenses.
California College Bound invites all international students wishing to study their undergraduate and post-graduate degrees to sign up with us. We will provide you with college tours and additional information on the various campuses to help you make an informed choice.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter